Have you heard about The Hooping Game? It’s kinda like hooping tag! It’s a group on Facebook – join the group, post “I’m in!”, and someone will tag you with a song of their choice. You have to record yourself hooping to it, and upload to the group within 48 hours, then tag that person back with a song of your choice.
It’s exciting, and nerve wracking, and so much fun! And you will never meet a more lovely, non-judgemental, supportive group of people anywhere else.
It seems simple but you can get a song you can’t stand or a kind of music you have never even considered hooping to before, then you have to really find a way to get into your flow, which opens up new ideas for transitions and speed and combinations of moves. It’s difficult sometimes!
And if you binge on tagging people who post I’m in, you end up with a flurry of tags back and your hooping practice gets mental!
These are the top 10 reasons why I LOVE The Hooping Game!
1) It’s amazing for helping your self confidence. Hoopers at all levels post and receive nothing but support and positivity! And once you have got over the fear of putting yourself out there, it gets easier every time – until you just cant wait to get hooping and putting your video up¬
2) It really improves your flow! At first I felt so clunky and unco-ordinated, but now after practicing to new music and new combinations I feel so much more free and comfortable in my hoop, even with the camera rolling! I do not know exactly why this game has made such a difference to my dancing, but after only a week I can see a huge difference.
3) Your hooping playlist will expand! You may not like all the songs your given, but some will be awesome! And you will keep them on your favourites list!
4) It gets your out of your hooping rut! I find I am often stuck in a rut of doing the same moves to the same music. Seeing other people hoop to your usual songs is a revelation! The same moves can be used with different transitions you never thought of to amazing effect. New tricks! New transitions! All wrapped up in moves you already do!
5) A sense of community – the hooping community has always been so friendly and inclusive, and this group embodies this and more. It has grown to over 1500 members in just a couple of weeks, and the amount of new hoopers and first time filmers who have found the confidence to join and post their hooping dance is inspiring. Not only that, hoop professionals and performers are in the group posting their own flow and encouraging and supporting along with everyone else. It is a real journey for all of us.
I love The Hooping Game!